Semiya Upma Recipe
Vermicelli or Semiya is something really saves your time when you have to make a quick breakfast or send something for your child’s tiffin at school.
Vermicelli or semiya as it known in India is a thin pasta made from flour and is used in almost every South Indian household for payasam during the Navaratri or Ganesha Chaturthi or any other religious festival. Cooked in full cream milk after stir frying in ghee and finally garnished with plenty of dry fruits and cardamom powder, this traditional South Indian payasam can give any Western dessert a tough competition in terms of taste and flavour.
Semiya is also cooked as upma or pulao and is a lip-smacking dish with high nutritional value as it is cooked with lots of coloured veggies like carrots, beans, cauliflowers etc. You can make it within 10 minutes and can make your child ask for a second serving of this dish. A bowl of sambar and coconut chutney will complement it as a full meal when you are not in a mood to cook an elaborate meal or you need to prepare something in a jiffy.
Here' the quick recipe for Semiya Upma given below:
Preparation time: 10 minutes Servings: 4-5
2 cups of semiya (you can use whole wheat semiya for more nutritional value)
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
½ cup green peas
½ cup carrot chopped in cubes
½ cup cauliflower florets
1-inch ginger finely chopped
½ tsp. oil for frying
1 tsp. ghee
Salt to taste
¼ tsp. mustard seeds
¼ tsp. urad daal
A handful of curry leaves
2-3 red chillies
How to prepare
- Dry roast the vermicelli till they turn golden brown. Keep them aside.
- Add oil in the pan and add the urad daal, ginger chillies, mustard seeds, curry leaves, clove and cardamoms. Fry till the mustard seeds start spluttering. Make sure you do not over fry them as the spices may get burnt.
- To that, add the vegetables and sauté them.
- Season them with salt. Fry the veggies till they are tender.
- Now, add the fried semiya to the veggies and toss them well. After cooking for a minute, add water and cover it with a lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes till the vermicelli threads are done.
- Season with salt.
- Lastly, add ghee and let it stand for another 2-3 minutes.
- Your semiya upma is ready to be served hot.
- If you are preparing semiya upma for meal you can serve it with sambar and coconut chutney.