Vangi Bhath Recipe
Preparation time : 5-10min Cooking time : 30 min Serves: 4
- Rice - 2 cup
- Brinjals (long) -¼ kg
- Onions (sliced) - 2 small
- Oil - 4 tablespoons
- Sambar Stories Bhath Powder - 4 tablespoons
- Tamarind (soaked in water) - small gooseberry sized
- Grated dry coconut / kopra - 4 tablespoons
- Fresh green peas - handful
- Lemon juice
- Salt - to taste
- Urad dal - 2 teaspoon
- Mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Channa dal - 2 teaspoons
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves - fingers full
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cook rice by adding rice grains and water in the ratio of 1:2.
- Cut brinjals and keep them in water to which turmeric powder is added. This prevents brinjals from changing color.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add urad dal, channa dal & mustard seeds to it. After the mustard seeds split, add curry leaves, onions, green peas & brinjals to the above mixture and sauté for 3 min on a medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder & salt to the above mixture and sauté for 3 min. Add tamarind juice & Sambar Stories Bhath powder to it and close the lid. Sauté till brinjals are cooked.
- Add grated coconut to the above mixture and stir well. Add cooked rice and lemon juice to this mixture.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Tasty Vangi bhath made from Sambar Stories Bhath powder is ready to be served.